Flourless Lactation Cookies: Monster Cookie Style

Do giant chocolate chip oatmeal cookies studded with almond slivers sound like  the perfect snack today? You’re in luck.

If it seems like a lot of my posts are recipes lately, it’s probably because they are. I’m settling into life since adding Giant Baby to our family and I’m working hard to keep up with his milk needs.

Unfortunately, like my other two kids, he’s had pretty significant latch issues, including a high narrow palate and a severe upper frenulum tie. So, I’m pumping again this time to keep my supply up. Still, I’m pretty happy about the fact that he nurses at all since I didn’t get to nurse my other two babies.

Whether you’re nursing “Giant Baby” like I am (he’s 19 pounds and just turned 3 months today!) or nursing a normal sized kid, there are days when you might need a little boost in supply. As a mom who’s struggled to keep up my supply with latch-challenged kids, I have a laundry list of lactogenic foods, drinks and herbal galactagogues that can help.

Here’s one of the more fun ones!

I’d run across several lactation cookie recipes, including one that contained kale and carrots. The ingredients that are standard in all of them are nut butter (protein), oats (milk booster!) flax seed and brewer’s yeast. I added slivered almonds because these also contain lactogenic properties. Plus, they’re delicious and healthy.

Just a note about brewer’s yeast. I’ve heard it lauded from time to time as a milk-booster but in three babies, I’ve never tried it till now. Boy, I wish I’d found it sooner! It definitely boosted my supply. I don’t know if it’s the B-complex vitamins or what but it works.

Some people suggest drinking Brewer’s Yeast in water but I found that caused some stomach issues for me. Eating it in a baked good with flax seed meal seems to be even more effective and there are no unpleasant side effects.

The great thing about this recipe is that it contains no flour and includes more oatmeal than most recipes. It’s modeled after the Monster Cookie recipe my mom used to make for us as kids, though it only has 3 1/2 c. of oats instead of the 6 that her recipe used. I only had dark chocolate chips on hand but if you have butterscotch chips or some other favorite candy, you can use it too.

Even if you’re not nursing a new little one, these cookies are absolutely delicious.

Chocolate studded, oatmeal lactation cookies

Flourless Lactation Cookies

Wet ingredients

• 1/2 c. butter (softened)
  • **16 oz REAL peanut butter – as in smooshed peanuts, not Jiffy or Skippy or any of that high fructose corn syrup enhanced stuff. (that’s how big my jar was but 14 oz would be ok too)
  • 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 T. real Maple syrup (optional)
  • 2 t. vanilla

Dry ingredients

• 1/2 t. salt maybe 1/4 if you’re using really salty butter
  • 3 T. Brewer’s yeast
  • 1 c. flax seed meal (Grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder for freshest taste.)
  • 3 1/2 c. oats
  • 2 t. baking soda
  • 1 c. dark chocolate chips (or toffee, butterscotch etc.)
  • 1 c. almond slivers

Preheat oven to 350º F

1. Stir together butter, peanut butter and brown sugar till thoroughly mixed.

2. Add eggs and beat till mixed.

3. Stir in vanilla and maple syrup.

4. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Nothing like biting into a pocket of baking soda. Yuck!

5. Use an ice cream scoop to shape cookies. Press flat on cookie sheet before baking. They are kind of sticky and a little hard to shape but press on. It is worth it.

6. Bake 17 minutes. The cookies should be chewy and soft, not crunchy. Your oven might be a little more or less so keep an eye on them.

7. Pour yourself a glass of milk and nosh.

Yum.

**You can substitute almond butter for the peanut butter.

Like this? Try my Zucchini Coconut Bread.

As with all my posts…If you like it, spread the sweetness! Tweet, Facebook or email to anyone who might benefit from it. :)

Remember to take care of yourself mama!

Comments

1. Kiersten says

I’m going to be making these for The Big Latch On event in Tucson this Friday and Saturday! Thanks for the great recipe!

• Monna says

Hi Sonya. I haven’t tried it but because of their texture, I think they probably would freeze well, especially if you’re careful not to overbake them. Let me know how it works!

2. Mary says

I made these before my little one was born and froze them. In that crazy time right after she was born, my husband would pop a few in the oven every so often an I would have amazingly delicious, fresh cookies! They were the food highlight of my first couple of weeks postpartum! Thank you so muis fabulous recipe. I will continue making these and my husband lives them, too.Mary

3. says

I am trying to relactate so I can nurse my 7 month old again. We got a very bad case of thrush and I haven’t nursed him since he was 3 months old, but I’m hoping with the help of these cookies and power pumping I’ll be able to get my supply back! Thanks for the recipe! Can’t wait to try them! :)

• Monna says

I wish you the best of luck, Rachel. You might also try the Motherlove “More milk plus” tincture. It’s got a lot of great herbs that might do the trick. I’m rooting for you!

• Monna says

Hi Lisa, I’ve also used almond butter and they were awesome. In fact, I preferred those. But they will be lower in protein.

4. Victoria says

OH MY GAWWWSH! My batch just came out of the oven… I can’t believe how many cookies this made. And I can’t stop eating them! I can’t wait to share these with other breastfeeding mommas. What a FANTASTIC recipe :)!

5. Becca Solomon says

do you also feed them to your kids? i’m very tempted to make them for my whole family especially because my girls are tiny and i’m always looking to pack on weight.

• Monna says

Absolutely. They are perfectly safe. The ingredients are mainly to add nutrients that assists in lactation but they’re fine for kids. Haven’t had one turn them down yet!

• Monna says

Becca, if you’re looking to offer the girls healthy pounds, you might also try – full fat organic yogurt, avocado (guacamole), organic beef, eggs, organic cream, cheese & butter – along with an assortment of colorful veggies! Our fairly tiny middle one loves meat. Good thing since she’s going thru the picky stage!

6. Emily says

I made these today. I followed the recipe exactly but my dough was crumbly and not sticky. The cookies are still good but I don’t know what went wrong.

• Monna says

Hmmm… It’s hard to say not being there. This isn’t a creamy recipe but it definitely sticks together.
      Here are a few questions that might help.
      1. Are your ingredients room temp? Using cold butter or eggs will change the texture of your finished product.
      2. Are you using natural peanut butter or almond butter? Did you pour off the oil before using? That will change the texture.
      Often “crumbly” dough indicates a lack of oil or eggs.
      If you’re using room temp ingredients and haven’t skimped on fat, try adding an extra 2-3 T of butter to see if that helps. Let me know how it goes.

Monna

• Monna says

Good question Rachel. We don’t mind a little sugar now and again so I’ve never tried apple sauce. Are you looking for a non-sugar substitute or an alternative sweetener. I suspect they’d fall apart though without any sugar. If you just want a non-refined option, try honey or maple syrup though I think you may need to adjust the dry ingredients slightly. (google it!). Let me know what you discover.

• Rachel says

Thank you! Yes, I”m interested in eating these quite often so I’d like to keep the sugar content to a minimum. I think honey will be a great option so I’ll try that first and let you all know! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

• Monna says

Cookie jar or a glass storage container with a sealed lid work for us. I don’t recommend the fridge. Room temp is best. They won’t last long if what happens at my place is any indication. ;)

7. Bonnie Fletcher says

These are so great! I baked the dough into bars and it lasted forever! Thank you for posting this. Going to make another batch tonight.

8. Amanda Lynn Hoeve says

I made them tonight they were a lil runny but I had to use apple sauce in place of the eggs bc my son can't have eggs. can't wait to try them :)

• says

Hmmm… interesting! I’ve not tried them with applesauce. You’ll have to report back on how that works for you. If applesauce doesn’t work, another thing you might try is flaxseed. I can’t remember the exact measurements but I bet you can google ground flaxseed for egg replacement or something. I’ve tried it in other things. Hope you like them!

• says

Hi Lea,
      I suppose you could try replacing the yeast with something similar in texture like ground flaxseed? Brewer’s yeast has a grainy, water absorbing texture to it.
      However, if you’re using it for milk production, brewer’s yeast is known for boosting it. I think the reason these cookies work so well is the combination of milk boosting foods in them.
      You definitely need to replace the yeast with something though and not just leave it out or it will change the end result.
      Let me know if you try it and how they turn out!

9. Nicole from Australia says

Oh my goodness these are delicious!! Only just tried them so no idea yet if my supply will increase but regardless these are totally moreish!

• says

Thanks, Nicole. So glad you liked them. Hope they increase your supply. If not, the best thing I did (other than cookies) was a fresh, local artisan IPA. Extra Hoppy. Store bought didn’t have the same effect.

10. Christa says

We are a peanut/tree nut free home due to allergies, what do you think I could substitute with and still get the results for increasing my milk ( lo is 19.5 wks and feeds every 1.5 hrs )?

• says

Hi Christa, since the structure of the cookie depends on the nut butter – and indeed gets part of it’s lacto power from the almonds, I’m not sure how to modify it for your needs. It would pretty much be remaking the cookie. If any other mom out there has some tree nut free advice to offer, we’d love to see it.

• says

Hi Angela, since the structure of the cookie depends on the nut butter, as well as protein, I’m not sure if it will still have the same effect with that particular substitution. But I’d love for you to post your results if you try it. Good luck!

11. Annabell says

So how many would i need to eat a day to see an increase? they sound yummy. I’m back at work so need to leave enough milk at home. My little girl is 13lb at 10 weeks so she needs quite a lot for the day….

• says

Hi Annabell. It’s impossible to say how many you’d need to increase your milk supply. Every person is different. And – while one person might see a huge jump, another might not see anything. For me, it was just as important (or more so) to eat adequate protein, fruits and veggies (but for me it was a lot of protein!) when nursing. The cookies just added a little boost and variety to my diet.
      The other thing that really helped my supply was fresh beer (a friend makes it). Within an hour, I probably had an oz or two increase. I was pumping so I could tell. This never happened with any other beer I tried.

12. Miranda says

I turned out some delicious, but crumbly cookies as well. I substituted equal parts coconut oil for butter. You think that was the problem? Also just noticed that my natural peanut butter had some ground flax meal in it. Thoughts? DEE-LICIOUS though!

• says

I would think it was the flax more than anything that might make them crumbly. Or overbaking. These usually hold together pretty well. You could try doing 1/2 & 1/2 on the butter/coconut oil and see what that does. Let me know!

• Miranda says

I think you’re probably right about the flax, and i’ll half butter/coconut oil next time. but so delicious! I just shouldn’t have strayed from the recipe. also- do you use peanut butter with no added sugar?

• says

Miranda, I use straight up peanut butter – all natural, organic (Costco carries it in my area), no sugar. It’s so delicious, I’ll never go back to anything else!

• says

Hi Jennifer, I have used flax instead of eggs before in a pinch. But I haven’t in this recipe. IF you do, let me know how it turns out and post your results for the other vegans out there. :)

13. Wendy says

Is nutritional yeast the same as brewers yeast? I asked for brewers yeast at our local health food store and she handed me a big jar of nutritional yeast.

14. Elizabeth Williams says

I made these tonight and they’re great. It would be easy to mix up the flavor by changing up the type of nut or adding dried fruit. I am freezing most of them so I don’t eat them all before the baby arrives.

15. rebecca says

Made these today.. Whether they work or not, they are awesome – especially right out of the oven. I added raisins & pecans. Wonderful!! They turned out might lighter than I thought! Yum!!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] 4. Super Healthy Cookies (aka Lactation Cookies) I’m hesitant to call these “lactation cookies” for fear of scaring a lot of people away from trying them. Here are the cold, hard (or warm and gooey?) facts: they won’t make you lactate if you aren’t already, and they are 100% safe for dads and kids. That said, if you’re nursing and would like to boost your supply, eat a few of these cookies and see what happens. They are full of oatmeal, brewer’s yeast, and ground flax seed. Did I mention they are delicious?! My husband and son devour them. If you’d like to make them without refined sugar, you can substitute the brown sugar for 1/2 cup honey, 3 tbsp real maple syrup, and 20 drops liquid SweetLeaf Vanilla Stevia (optional). Note: if you substitute the sugar, try baking them for a few minutes less than the recipe says. It’s also worth noting that brewer’s yeast tastes nutty and is not the same thing as nutritional yeast which tastes cheesy. The first time I made these, I ended up with cheesy cookies. Whoops. (Credit: OrganicMamaCafe) [...]

2. […] The house smells amazing right now, I’ve got some delicious chocolate chip lactation cookies baking in the oven!  A yummy combo of peanut butter, butter, oats, brewers yeast, flax seed, dark chocolate and almonds.  Click Here for the Recipe. […]